Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Kitchen Sink.

Today is my day off, so I decided to spend the day doing laundry and vegging out in front of teevee.
I was watching the Cooking Channel, and on one of the shows, they were making pizza. I suddenly decided that I needed pizza. But do we have the ingredients for pizza? I go through the list in my head- I know we have flour and yeast, and I knew we had cheese. The rest, I'd just wing it. I looked through the fridge, and saw lots of left over things, so I used them. This, my friends, is why its called "The Kitchen Sink".
I will admit to cheating on the crust. I used my bread maker. DON'T JUDGE ME. I'm all about new technologies! So as the dough was being made, I started on the pizza sauce. I started by chopping up some leftover onion that had been languishing in the fridge for a couple days- I saved it from a fate worse than, em, something. I sauteed those on medium, then added a balsamic vinegar. Now, this vinegar, I love this vinegar. I bought it last year at the Flower Mart, which is an annual street market in Baltimore. It's a balsamic vinegar with fig and vanilla. I have used it on everything- so good on veggies, so good on pork, so good on chicken, so good on salmon, so good in hamburgers..so I wanted to try it with pizza sauce. I let those work together to caramelize the onions, as I prepared the tomatoes. We had 1 tomato, and a handful of little grape tomatoes left over. So I took the tomato, squeezed out the seeds, and coarsely chopped it. I just cut the grape tomatoes in half. Added them to the onions, and added some salt and garlic. Cooked that on medium for a few minutes, then set it to low while the dough rises.
Meanwhile, I got the rest of the toppings. I found a container with about 12 olives, left over from a meal a couple days ago. So I got those and coarsely chopped them. Found an artichoke heart- Just one. Chopped it up, mixed it with the olives. We had some spinach! Chopped it up (I don't like big leaves of spinach on my pizza, but I do like spinach on my pizza). 2 leftover italian sausages, perfect! Some provolone slices, and some shredded cheddar. So, those were my pizza toppings.
I have a pizza stone somewhere, but I suspect its in the garage, with much of my other stuff, so I just used my rectangular stone, so the pizza wasn't round. But the shape doesn't matter.
So, after baking it at 350 for 24 minutes, I couldn't wait to taste it. And mmmmmmm was it tasty. I like my pizza crust thick, so I made it such, but not too thick. the sauce was thick, tangy, maybe a little sweet, from the balsamic, and sooo good. the different toppings worked super well together.
Making pizza from scratch isn't hard. (especially if you have a bread maker). And the toppings can be anything. You should try it, too. Its so good!

No comments: